Friday, February 12, 2010

Oceanographer... fishy business .com


Just wanted to let you guys in on a little entertainment I have had lately...
So I am selling one of my motorcycles on KSL .com classifieds. (it really works well for big items)
I have received over 800 hits in the last 7 days! Any way, one of the first few emails I received was from a guy named David Sharon. He has got to be a scammer as you will see in the following dialogue we had.

David:
Hi Do you still have it for sale? i will like to make an offer $2000 for this,payments will be make through paypal and i will arrange the pick up as well. Cheers, David.

Jarad:
I would need cash for this, when it is picked up, I will trade cash for the title - Jarad

David:
Hi thanks for mailing back,i am an oceanographer, i am at sea right
now,i am buying this for my son as a surprise gift and I am glad you
accepted my offer.I can only pay through paypal at the moment as i
dont have access to my bank account online(i dont have internet
banking with it),but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this
is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your
paypal email address to make the payments,and if you dont have a
paypal account yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com,i
will be expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for
the pick up after payments has been sorted.

Jarad:
so let me get this straight you have access to your bank account through paypal but you don't have online access, fishy, And speaking of fish, what exactly does an oceanographer do, who employs you, what department? Where are you currently living? There is not even an ocean close to where I live. You don't even have any questions about the bike, you are not interested in test riding it? fishy again. I don't release my bike to any agent unless that agent brings me the cash PERIOD! If you want to abide by my terms please email me back, if not, stop wasting my time.

...never heard back...

As you can see I dealt with this scam artist in the proper way, Beware there are alot of people out there doing this fishy business. Never release your possessions with out proper payment and never let a third party pick up your item and promise online payment. Any way good luck to all of you dealing with these cyber pirates, -Jarad

3 comments:

  1. Haha! Way to tell him off! We had a simialr situation with our piano. TOTAL SCAM artist... we thought it was pretty fishy ourselves. We caught on to it pretty fast, though. We learned too, that when someone offers more than you are asking, has NO questions about what you are selling, and they claim to live out of state and are going to send one else to pick it up,that they we too are dealing with "cyber pirates" haha! We beat'em every time :).

    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you don't know me, but I just got the exact same 2 emails from the same David Sharon for a bike I am trying to sell on KSL.com as well. I was immediately suspicious as well and thought I would push him to see what he could tell me.
    yeah, after the second email, no response. I actually found this blog when I looked his name up on google.

    ReplyDelete