Thursday, November 5, 2009

New Harmony Fire

Here are some pictures I took of the New Harmony fire that was a "controlled burn/do not report fire" that got out of control this past summer...

I believe it started in July from a lighting strike and it burned and burned and burned...

and they let it burn till it was crazy huge!

I guess once it became a "problem", and started threatening homes and such they decided it was high time they did something about it... notice the empty fire station, haha! :)

This picture turned out cool I thought. I didn't even notice the speed limit sign till after I took it on my phone :).
The smoke was blown north toward Cedar area and sometimes it got SO bad we had to go out to New Harmony to get a breath of fresh air... as crazy as that sounds. It was pretty cool to sit on mom and dads deck and just watch it burn, and burn. The flames were huge, so huge we could see when a tree caught fire and burst into flames. Anyway, just thought I'd post a few pictures I had.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, and that was just the beginning too. It burned through the month of August and covered alot of land area. I can't remember when is was officially put out, but It was kind of cool, though. I know that sounds bad cause a few people lost their homes and suff, but from a distance it was pretty intense. It was amazing how quickly it got out of control.
    ~Jenny ;)

    ReplyDelete